Posted By Staff
Date: January 22nd, 2013
Category: Nutty News
The sulphurous stench – likened to rotten eggs – is said by officials to be completely harmless.
But police in Kent, Sussex and Surrey began to receive floods of calls from concerned residents on Tuesday morning – and by afternoon there were reports of the unwelcome whiff in Oxfordshire and as far north as Northampton.
The gas, called mercaptan, was accidentally leaked from a factory in the northern city of Rouen and before long had drifted over the English channel.
It is sometimes added to natural gas to alert people to gas leaks. Full Article